Hakim Hassan – August 3, 2021 Source: The Rakyat Post
The government will make the Covid-19 self-test kits a controlled item to ensure that it is sold at a reasonable price, according to Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) Deputy Minister Datuk Rosol Wahid.
For now, he said to Sinar Harian, the Ministry is discussing with the manufacturers, importers and sellers of the self-test kits.
“We got the information that each of these test kits is sold at a price of RM39.90, I think it will burden consumers and not many can afford it. So we are discussing to get a reasonable price that does not harm traders and does not burden consumers with the hope that everyone can afford it. We are in the process of making it a controlled item.” said
Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) Deputy Minister Datuk Rosol Wahid via Sinar Harian
Rosol also informed the media that apart from ensuring that the selling price is affordable, KPDNHEP is also sniffing out counterfeit Covid-19 self-test kits in the market.
Here’s the list of controlled items, according to the Ministry’s website:
4. Cooking Oil
7. Mild Steel Round Bars
11. All types of Bread Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG)
Recently, The Ministry of Health has given the conditional approval for several Covid-19 self-test kits to be imported and distributed nationwide.
The kits are sold via MySejahtera and is priced between RM35 all the way to RM41:
1. Salixium Covid-19 Home Self Test Rapid Antigen Test Kit (RM39.90)
2. Gmate Covid-19 Salive Home Self Test Saliva Rapid Antigen Kit (RM39.90)
3. JusChek Covid-19 Antigen Rapid Test (RM35)
4. Longsee Covid-19 Home Self Test Rapid Antigen Kit (RM41)
What you can do with the test kit:
- Self-screening to know the status of Covid-19
- For individuals who have had contact with Covid-19 cases
- Other appropriate screenings (such as International Entrance, cross-state, pre-employment screening, pre-admission to higher institutions etc.)
The user must ensure that the kit purchased has obtained permission from the Medical Device Authority (MDA).