Typhoid: 5 Ways it Spreads and 10 of its Tell-Tale Symptoms
According to the UK’s National Health Services (NHS), typhoid fever is a bacterial infection caused by the Salmonella typhi bacteria, which is related to the bacteria that cause salmonella food poisoning. It can spread throughout the body, affecting many organs and without prompt treatment, the infection can cause serious complications and can be fatal.
Here are five ways typhoid can spread and its 10 tell-tale symptoms:
1. Contaminated Food and Water: Food or water that is contaminated with stool of a person who has the infection can lead to transmission of the bacteria.
2. Person-to-Person Contact: Direct contact with infected individuals, such as through kissing or sexual contact.
3. Poor Hygiene: Poor hygiene practices such as not washing hands after using the bathroom, handling contaminated food or objects, and not properly disposing of human waste.
4. Travel: Travelers to developing countries may be more likely to contract the infection.
Symptoms of typhoid fever usually develop within 1-3 weeks of exposure and can include:
1. High Fever and Headache
2. Weakness and fatigue
3. Muscle aches
5. Dry cough
6. Loss of appetite and weight loss
7. Abdominal pain and discomfort
8. Diarrhea or constipation
9. Rash of flat, rose-colored spots
10. Extremely swollen stomach
Prevention of typhoid fever
To prevent typhoid fever, it is important to practice good hygiene and food safety habits. Here are some ways to prevent the spread of typhoid:
1. Wash your hands regularly with soap and water
2. Avoid drinking untreated water or using ice made from untreated water
3. Only eat cooked foods that are still hot or fruit that you have peeled yourself
4. Avoid raw fruits and vegetables, particularly if you are unsure of their source
5. Ensure that food handlers and street vendors are using good hygiene practices
6. Get vaccinated against typhoid fever before traveling to high-risk areas.
If you develop symptoms of typhoid fever, seek medical attention immediately. Treatment typically involves antibiotics to help kill the bacteria and manage symptoms.
Reszon Typhoid Rapid lgM Test Kit and Reszon Typhoid Rapid lgG/lgM (Combo) Test Kit are immunochromatographic assays designed for the qualitative detection of Typhoid fever. Reszon Typhoid Rapid IgM Test Kit is designed to detect specific IgM antibodies against a specific Salmonella typhi antigen in human serum, plasma, or whole blood specimens. Reszon Typhoid Rapid lgG/lgM (Combo) Test Kit is intended for qualitative detection and differentiation of specific IgM and IgG antibodies against specific Salmonella typhi OMP antigens in human serum or plasma specimens.
Both test kits are available in the packing size of 25 tests per kit and are intended to be used by a medical professional for early diagnosis of Typhoid fever.
- Times of India (2022) Typhoid: 5 ways the infection can spread; tell-tale symptoms to note and how to prevent it. Accessed on 6 Mar 2023.
- WHO (2018) WHO Fact Sheet. Accessed on 6 Mar 2023.
- CDC (2022) Typhoid Fever. Accessed on 6 Mar 2023.